From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:08:52 -0500
I called their 800 number (800-333-9813) and asked about baby ferrets,
saying I had seen about them on their web page.  The person I talked to
said they did not have any now, but expected more in 3-4 weeks.  In the
meantime, he said they would be posting information about adopting from
ferret shelters on their web site in a day or two and I might want to
consider that since there are many homeless ferrets in shelters.

I asked how they ship the ferrets and he passed my call onto someone else,
who said that if you are near a major airport they ship them either air
cargo (cost about $30 to Ohio) or counter to counter ($110 or so depending
on airline) at your option.  He said they have been using the counter to
counter for baby birds since 1974 I think he said, and have been shipping
ferrets for several years.

The people on the phone were quite polite and friendly, but I was not being
confrontational.  I am appalled however by their on-line attitude.  They
are messing with the wrong people if they get the FML's dander up!!!

I plan to call back in a few weeks when they have ferrets and see about
their "screening" procedures.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH

[P.S.]
I just saw that petswarehouse.com has indeed posted a page about adoption
from shelters at <http://www.petswarehouse.com/Ferret_shelter.htm>.
Only one shelter is listed, the PFRA in Centre county.