From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:48:46 -0500
>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: couple of things
>Blockages.  I'd just like to point out to newbies that "stuff" can hang out
>in varies corners and curves of the intestines or bounce around in the
>stomach as a partial blockage for a long long time (months) destroying
>tissue and intestinal/stomach walls before you realize what the problem is.

One of ours had two rubber disks in his stomach.  They looked like the
little cushions that go on the bottom of something to keep it from
scratching the furniture.  He exhibited no signs of blockage, was eating and
pooping normally, and they were only found by accident.  The vet went in for
a spleen problem and noticed that his stomach felt like it had something in
it, when he hadn't eaten for 3 or 4 hours before surgery.  They were just a
bit smaller than a dime and apparently too big to pass into the intestine or
block the exit from the stomach and really block him up.  I hadn't noticed,
but he must have been eating a lot of small meals because they couldn't have
left much room in there for a full meal.  Who knows how long they were in
there.  But, he had no intestinal problems before or after.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke - [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Shelter Home Page - http://www.gate.net/~mjanke