From:
Paul Ogles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 13:02:16 -0400
Hi, All,
Just a few quick notes:
1.  Bill Killian- If AFA is all you suggest, we should back it rather than
replace it, but... Why do I hear so little about it?  How is it organized?
What is it's focus?  How is it funded?  How does it spend those funds?  I
think most people here would rather join a group doing what they want than
try to create one.

2.  The advantages of Chaos- it is easier to get people to work for a local
than for a national group- they can be 'big frogs', and be in direct contact
w/ associates.  At a national level an organization modeled on the hydra has
many similar advantages- an inactive or power hungry president/editor/God is
less able to destroy an organization if it has many heads.  For instance,
some sort of independent boards for legal actions, shows and standards,
shelter support, etc., could each have a representative on the Executive
Board.  All an XB needs to do is budget and control the publication.  Many
organizations fail because independent action is too limited, and divisions
of responsibility w/ elected board members can help.

3.  Would we be better w/ a Federation of Ferret Organizations?  (FoFO...
bad anagram) It would be good to have the support of the organized hobby
rather than the opposition.

4.  Publicity- Any artists willing to put together handbills, etc., and send
them out on-line?  It may be a bit early for this, but while the FML only
reaches 3000 people, those 3000 could each print and distribute fliers to a
lot of stores, legislators, vets, etc.

5.  Funding- you will get a lot more money w/ $25 memberships than $100
memberships.  The people willing to pay $100 will give it anyway, too be
listed as patrons of the organization.  I suspect a membership of 1% of
those 12 million ferret owners (120,000 people) is an outrageous goal, but
might happen if the dues are low and people are worried enough for their
ferrets.

6.And *finally*, an Organizational Meeting.  In Orlando, next January?  It
is hard to reach a meaningful concensus on the FML.

     Paul