From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS of GA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 00:16:12 -0400
>From:    Paula Kelling <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paula, welcome to the club.  These are very real situations routinely
involved in doing rescue.  Without counting, I'd say about half of the
ferrets that come into our care have no history.  Found ferrets never have
a history, but even when they're dumped at animal control the original
owners don't return calls w/even their names.  Any ferret you take in
should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks for the protection of all.

There are people out there far more qualified than I to discuss the rabies
issue, but from my understanding of the issue, I've never had a concern.
Since the CDC recommends a 10-day quarantine on seemingly healthy cats,
dogs & ferrets, & a ferret would literally have to be bitten by a rabid
animal to contract the disease, leaving physical evidence if it survived
at all, that's good enough for me.

I'm sorry the little one is sick, but again, this is another facet of
rescue.  We do the best we can for them when they are.  The adoption
donations for ferrets who have had medical treatment are the same.  That's
just the way it is.  It's a far stretch to think the average person
adopting a ferret is going to hand over $250 & up for a 4 y/o ferret that's
had adrenal disease.

You might try another formula to get her to eat.  See if she'll take
Nutri-Cal or Ferretvite, treats, Cheerios, anything to get something into
her.

Don't give up.  The personal rewards are far greater than the frustration,
or any of the other negative emotions.  When you cradle them in your arms &
look in their beady little eyes nothing else matters.

I had one of those really rewarding adoptions on Sunday.  Lori called about
adopting a large male.  She already had 3 females & a male.  After a very
nice conversation I invited her over w/her business the same day.  I let
the "adoptable" ferrets out & we had a really fun time.  When Lori said to
me that she was really looking for a ferret who would be harder to place I
was really taken back.  She chose my Jr., who had had adrenal surgery in
May.  Unfortunately, the tumor was malignant & he continued to lose his
coat.  Although he's completely bald on his body, he's happy, active, &
loves to dance.  You can't imagine my joy that there was a compassionate,
giving soul that was interested in my crooked nose funny face who had lost
most of his coat.  I told Lori to fill in whatever she thought would be
fair for his adoption...& she gave me more than the adoption donation for a
healthy kit.  Lori is one in a million & I feel privileged that one of my
little ones has the good fortune to become part of her family.

***************************************
Sadly, an acquaintance of mine had his little 2 y/o jill diagnosed
w/lymphocarcoma.  He has asked me to post to the list for your personal
experiences.  He has decisions to make & would like to know about the
degree of discomfort, quality of life, & longevity of different treatments
- surgery, chemo, supportive medical care, etc.  He doesn't know how to
handle this situation & really would appreciate your experiences.  You can
e-mail Pat at <[log in to unmask]>.  Please help him if you can.  I would
also appreciate if you would post your experiences to the list for all of
us.  Thank you again for your help.

Juliana  (770) 984-1417 <[log in to unmask]>
FERRET BUSINESS of GA
(fer'it`biz'nis) n.  1 Ferret foster care & adoption.
2 Info about ferret care & ownership.  3 What a ferret does.
4 A collection of ferrets.  5 A direct result of ferret math.
/That's BUSINESS as in a bunch of ferrets folks./