From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 18:56:14 -0700
>From:    "A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Relinqished ferrets get sick

>I'll bet they have what, as a shelter operator, I call relinqishment
>stress which leads to a bacterial infection.  Generally this is just a
>proliferation of bacteria already existing in the ferret, but which suddenly
>increases to clinical illness due to stress.  Whether the ferrets came from
>a good home or bad, any change causes stress.  Shelters expect this with
>virtually every new arrival, so to get the jump on what seems to be
>inevitable, we put all new arrivals on antibiotics (amoxicillin) and a
>stomach soother, such as Pepcid.

Dear A. Abate/C. Kinsey,

Ferrets NorthWest FNW regularly boards ferrets. FNW regularly receives
ferrets that are no longer to be kept by their original owners.   FNW has
never experienced "relinquishment stress," as is termed by A. Abate/C.
Kinsey.  Nor has FNW ever been "blessed" with the "greenies" that within
a few days was not cleared up, stopped, and the feces returned to normal
(little cigars).

Consequently, we must be doing something different from what you"re doing,
right?  Since I don't know what you're doing, in terms of feeding your
incoming ferrets, their housing, and their association with other ferrets
in your ferretarium, I should like to request that you tell us more about
your procedures and your ferret food.  Can you do that?

You must certainly realize that administering anitbiotics when no proof (at
least you cited no proof, but merely offered your opinion of an intestinal
"infection")exists that the anitbiotic is necessary, you may be doing more
harm than good, and in spite of your "doctoring" your ferrets are getting
better on their own anyhow (or are they?).

Stop and think for a moment: if the intestinal flora of bacteria and
protozoans is "out of whack" of what it should be, would it not be another
approach to bring that "out of whack" floral into a normal healthful state?
By using the anitbiotic you are essentially wiping the gut clean of both
the beneficial flora as well as the "out of whack" flora.

I should like to suggest that you seriously consider omitting the anitbiotic
(unless specifically ordered by a vet who has examined your ferret(s) and
who has prescribed it) and instead do what you can to replenish the flora of
the gut with substances in the liquid food you feed your newcomers, so that
fresh, new, beneficial bacteria are innoculated into your ferret's gut.
Learn from the Azerbijanies, the race of people who experience the greatest
longivity on the planet.

By the way, how are you obtaining the amoxycillin?  Normally you cannot get
that antibiotic unless prescribed by a veterinarian.  I'm curious to know
if your souce is legal?

The best thing I know to use is ordinary yoghurt.  If you want to do a
really good job I should like to recommend a product called: PB-8 Pro-Biotic
Acidophilus for Life.  A natural supplement for maintaining a healthy
balance of Intestinal flora.  Just one capsule contains 14 BILLION good
bacteria of 8 different strains.  We here at FNW use it in our LUMPS once
in a while, but we always use yoghurt in our daily soup (LUMPS, which is an
acronym for Lipinski's Ultimate Mustelid Porridge Soup) ration that all of
our ferrets eat.

We have never experienced a case of ECE or coccidiosis in the 17 years our
shelter & breeding facility has been operating.  So, just maybe, we're
stumbling, bumbling along pretty good, wouldn't you say?

Please let us know how you are doing things; we'd sure like to help you if
we can.

Edward Lipinski, Der Wahrkeitskaemp von Frettchenvergnuegenland, der
sagt, "Du bist was du isst."
Edward Lipinski,[G.] the champion of truth from ferret joy land, who
says, " You are what you eat."