From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 13:53:34 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922
&messageid=4762&startid=4765

>Toby is not going to live much longer.  Within the past few months his
>health has dropped dramatically.  He eats well and drinks plenty of
>water, but does not want to play anymore.  He is six years old and just
>wants to sleep.  His hind feet are also not functioning most of the
>time.  He has a hard time walking on slick surfaces.  It is so strange.
>I took him to the vet and she wanted to take x-rays of him, because she
>didn't know what was wrong with him.  I haven't had him x-rayed yet.
>I love this ferret, but I spend so much money on vet bills, with 3
>ferrets, two dogs(one of which has had two shoulder surgeries) and a
>cat.  Anyway, I'm thinking about putting him to sleep, because he looks
>so unhappy.

This sounds very suspicious of insulinoma to me and I would strongly
recommend that you get a second opinion before making any such drastic
decisions.  Six is not all that old for a ferret and insulinoma is a
pretty treatable disease.

As far as the other two ferrets - I do not recommend giving sugary treats
to ferrets unless they are in end stage insulinoma and need the sugar for
that reason.  It can do far more harm than good by causing a see-saw
reaction and making the blood sugar rise rapidly, then drop suddenly.
The younger one needs to have more time out and to be handled very gently
and consistently - biters can be taught not to, but yelling at him,
confining him, etc, will only make things worse.

Dr. Ruth
Find it. Fix it. And fly again.