From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 20:51:26 -0400
>P.S. for CA residents -- Few years ago, you have seen Ricky
>and Lucy in CA Lottery Commercial on TV

So lemme get this straight...the California State Government is exploiting
the appeal of ferrets to sell lottery tickets?  The same government that
senselessly and pig-headedly classes them as dangerous wild animals and
tramples on the rights of citizens to own the pet of their choice?  The
same government that ignores all existing expert scientific opinion on
ferrets and maintains that they are dangerous wildlife that would wreck
the ecosystem if they ever escaped?  The same bureaucrats that cave in to
bogus and completely unfounded pressure from the state poultry industry
who "fear" a devastating invasion of "vicious killer ferrets?" Nah, it
couldn't be...

I think that's pretty icky.  I live here in (FFZ) California, and I can't
even find a vet to take care of my furry.  I don't know what I would do if
she ever got sick.  I have to hide her when the meter-reader comes to the
house to read the gas meter, because I've heard horror stories of Fish and
Game officials knocking on your door.  I can't take her out in the back
yard because a neighbor might see and just mention it to the wrong person.
And now these same government creeps are trading on the natural
like-ability of ferrets to make their gambling money?  Ugh.  And BTW, this
wouldn't be the same lottery money that goes to shore up California's
plummeting education system, which began to bottom out right around the
time they cut off all revenue from property taxes?  (Proposition 13:
"taxpayer's revolt" which set ceiling on property taxes, thereby gutting
all California social services from education to libraries to fire- and
policemen).  So these people make bad decisions and bad laws all around,
but they're not above using ferret- cuteness to peddle gambling tickets?
Oh.  Just wondering...

Dan and Indie, the Squeakmouse, Annoyed at the Dumb and Damaging Laws
in a Ferret-Free Zone

(To A.K.  whose ferrets were in the commercial: I'm sure they're lovely
little guys; nothing against your fuzzies, and I'm glad they're
celebrities...it's just the duplicity and insistent stupidity of the
government I can't abide.)