From:
Amy and Dave Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:00:16 -0000
Hi Erin --

I agree that Sukie is a much better expert about this than I -- I never
had to deal with ascites or had to have fluid removed -- but I did have a
ferret live 3 years with cardio, under the caring and expert hand of Dr.
Weiss.

Claudia always had a heart murmur, and by the time she went in for adrenal
surgery at age 4, she was diagnosed with cardio (enlarged heart).  However,
her lungs looked good after Xray and Dr. Weiss began her on maintenance
meds immediately to prevent any further damage.  One was Lasix and the
other was digoxin I believe, but it's been a few years and I forget.  She
had also been on two other medicines for recurring bladder stones since she
was 1 1/2.  She was the most medicated ferret I've ever heard of (in the
morning she got three meds, in the evening, two).  Still she lived to just
three months shy of her 8th birthday.

The key to dealing with cardio, in my opinion, is regular visits to the
vet, including periodic Xrays, and maintenance meds.  Also to be aware of
coughing spells, which may call for a change in medicines.  Granted,
Tigger's life span will probably not be as long as your other fuzzies, but
he should still be able to live a quality life with the proper maintenance.

Right now I have a 4 y.o. female with an irregular heartbeat.  Nothing to
worry about yet, but cardio does run in her family so you bet I'm keeping
an eye on that.

Good luck and if you have any questions please let me know.

Amy, Dave, Sarah & Paul (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian, Elektra, Claudia & Sidney