Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 13:49:15 -0500
Rebecca asks:

>On the dog breed issue: Does anyone have experience with Labradors and
>ferrets?  I was thinking of eventually getting a black lab pup and am
>wondering if anyone has any opinions on the breed.

Laboradors fall into that group of dog categorized as object players and
retrievers.  They are bred to retrieve downed wild gamebirds, but not to
damage them, therefore the breed (as a whole) have nice soft mouths.  They
frequently are expected to jump into freezing water and have developed tough
skin with nerve endings that are not very sensitive to cold and pain.

I think that a lab could *possibly* be a good breed of dog to have as a
ferret playmate as long as the play is supervised (this means you are in the
same room as the interacting animals) and that the ferret isn't allowed to
abuse the dog (for instance, by hanging onto its face).  Also, keep in mind
that labs sometimes don't know their own strength, and giving a playmate a
"body slam", something that is natural for a rambunctious and playful pup,
is not something a ferret can tolerate.

Although (name deleted to keep the peace) suggested that ferrets can be
alpha over dogs, this kind of expectation is unrealistic and quite risky.
Especially since pack hierarchy can change quick as a wink, sometimes with
devastating results to the weaker animal.  Although laboradors are not known
for their aggression, any self-respecting dog will tolerate bullying only
for so long.  Even my chow chow, safer-than-safe with the ferrets, will no
longer tolerate them because of her painful arthritis.

So, I would say, get the dog.  It might work out, but it might not.  I have
discovered that keeping my ferrets totally separate from my four "hounds of
the Baskervilles" isn't as inconvenient as I thought it was going to be.
The hardest part is keeping my tiny female fuzzy from running under the
doors.

-cadel