From:
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:42:57 -0800
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: shelter adoption requirements

Anonymous was writing about...

>>Hmmmmmmm, well we require that the adopter feed a good quality ferret,
>>not cat food; we require that the ferret be caged when unsupervised; ...
>>we require that you sign a contract agreeing to those points.

>I regularly read on this mailing list that many shelter operators would
>consider me an unfit ferret adopter!

Well... I wouldn't pass their tests either.  We use both Totally Ferret
*AND* Iams Cat food.  We happen to prefer cages for the ferrets protection.
Before I married Diane though my two ferrets would sometimes be left out
for somewhat extended periods.  Breeding and shelter situations are also
different than just having pets.

I'm not convinced all shelters that have real strict rules would actually
pass their own restrictions.  There are those that are aghast at ferrets
ever being caged.  <shrug>

>From: Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: nursing question
>Frankly, I've had some trouble wondering why breeders can't keep kits
>alive by hand-raising them.

I wish I really knew.  Ferret kits just seem to not want to take milk
except from mama.  Or some other mama.  Ferrets seem less mature at birth
than other baby animals and develop slower - this might be a less than good
side effect of domestication tending toward juvenilization or it might not.

We've hand fed kids (goats), puppies and kittens from even mere hours old
but just can't get the ferrets to take the milk.  Or at least seem to
thrive on what we've managed to get themn to take.

>Formulas are usually made up of one or a combination of the following (all
>by Pet Ag): Esbilac, KMR, and/or Multi-Milk.

The small envelope packaging of Esbilac mentions its use for ferrets
although the larger packages don't.  Some ferret breeders do use Esbilac as
a supplement while others use KMR.  But we've even successfully hand fed a
kitten that thrived on goat milk powder.

>There is also a new Benebac-like product available for newborn baby
>animals who did not receive colostrum.

Any more info on this?  It certainly couldn't hurt to try.  That might be
part of it.

-bill

--
bill and diane killian