Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:22:15 EDT
A happy spring weather to you all~!!!

I never had a dog large or small. I do not have the inclination to be
out in all weather walking my dog. From the places I have volunteered
at and animal shows I have watched...you cannot just let your dog out
in the back yard. They need regular exercise...some for much longer
and harder than others.

I do not want to be walking in the rain, the blizzard, the dark, when
I am ill, etc. But I love the little dogs. I just cannot have one. It
would be most unfair.

That said, I know of several people who had ferrets who were SO into
them. They had web cams, and a special set up, hours of time they spent
with the ferts. Then they got dogs. At some point they realized that
they could not trust the dogs with the ferts.And the dogs required
hours of walking and play time each day. Yet both people worked. The
cams slowed down and then stopped. The dogs stayed. The house hold was
stressed out. The babies were relegated to a cage. And their world
diminished and darkened.

Is it selfish to take such a chance on the quality of the lives of
the little ones that you already have just so you can indulge a desire
for another fur critter? I do not stand in judgement. The question is
something that needs to be seriously considered.

Anyone considering bringing in another species that requires love,
attention, grooming, a vet, walks, and enrichments needs the time and
energy, money and pledge to be a forever mom or dad. Add to that the
promise not to hurt in any way the short lives of the animal you
already have.

Just my thoughts since a question was asked.
Lisette