From:
[log in to unmask] (Katherine Fritz)
Date:
Tue, 01 Nov 1994 10:49:30 -0500
> From: Pereira Michael <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 13:25:15 -0500 (EST)

[snip]
> 1) does anyone know about the existence of a bylaw in windsor ont. that
> forbids our furry friends. currently Cal is staying with my parents (mom
> loves him :)) but i would really like to bring him to live with me while
> im at school. so far ive been told that a) ferrets are NOT allowed in
> windsor as a result of problems in the past b) ferrets are allowed but
> MUST be registered c) ferrets are not a problem at all. sadly i cant seem
> to get any definate answer and am running out of patience. i want him
> here but dont want to risk losing him.
>
> [I seem to remember Windsor and Oshawa being listed as FFZs.  The simplest
> thing to do is contact bylaw enforcement in Windsor (see your blue pages
> under municipal government) and ask.]

I've been keeping an FFZ list for the FML for the past several months, and
I have no information about Windsor or Oshawa.  You might check with your
local animal control officers/animal shelter officers/vets/wildlife, fish
& game officials/health officials.  Probably your best bet would be
animal control or animal shelter people.  Let us know what you find out,
or if you get confirmation/denial from anyone (and who says so!).

[As far as I am aware, there are no province-wide bans on ferrets, so any
bans would be municipal "exotic pet" bylaws.  So, things like Ministry
of Natural Resources (the equivalent for fish&game) would not know, nor
ever be involved in enforcement.  It's outside of health's mandate too.
Thus, the simplest and most effective way to find out is municipal bylaw
offices.]

> From: Jim Lapeyre <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 14:06:12 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: How Winston Survived The Screaming Greenies

[snip]

Glad to hear Winston's on the mend!

[snip]
>         Thanks again to those who helped: may you all have the courage to
> one day look behind the couch and learn the awful truth.

Ooooh, I don't think I'm ready to face this yet! :-)

[snip]
> As for potty
> training, sorry: the only thing we've tried is revoking their TV
> privileges.  They really hate to miss The Simpsons.

ROFL!!

> From: Drac <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 17:07:51 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: An experiment. . .
>

>         Hello there. . . I'm looking for ideas for a simple experiment
> involving ferrets. Maybe something in the realm of ferret behavior in the
> wild as opposed to in captivity (or in a pet situation). My problem is
> that I know scarce little about ferrets in the first place and my
> professor gave me the address of this list as a place I might be able to
> look to get some ideas and information. Any project ideas that anyone has
> will be a *big* help to me. . . Thankyou in advance!! :)

Ferrets are a domestic animal and basically don't exist in the wild.
There are no feral populations of Mustela putorius furo in North America
that I'm aware of.  So your idea of exploring ferret behavior in the wild
vs. captivity is flawed to start with.  Sorry.

I suppose it's possible to do something comparing behaviors of the
domestic ferret with the black-footed ferret (which *is* a wild animal),
but the BFF is a severely endangered species and probably the rarest mammal in
North America, so you'd have to travel to Wyoming to observe them (they've
been in a captive breeding program there for some years and are being
reintroduced to the wild).

As for other things you might try, my creativity today seems to have
vanished.  Something concerning ferrets' problem-solving ability perhaps?
They're the most *persistent* critters I've ever seen when it comes to
solving problems (how to get over the pet gate into the kitchen, how to
climb onto the kitchen counters, how to get the cage door open, etc.).
Maybe someone else is more awake than I am this morning...

>         To the MA resident with pet ferrets: I've always wanted a pet
> ferret but I was under the impression that it is against MA state law to
> own ferrets. . . Is this the truth or did I not get told something?

Ferrets *are* illegal in Massachusetts.  There is, however, an underground
population of pet ferrets in the state, which is why that particular MA
resident was posting anonymously.  (You never know who might be listening
in.)  There has been a movement afoot to legalize ferrets in
Massachusetts, but it has not, as yet, been successful. :-(

> From: Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 19:14:29 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Issue 1000 + Cedar Shavings

[snip]
> Second thing is a request for information.  Our ferret club is trying to
> convince Scamps Pet Stores (in the Pacific Northwest) to quit using cedar
> shavings. Typically there is about 2 inches of shavings in the cages
> and the food and water bowls are covered.  Scamps says that there have
> never been ANY studies done regarding a correlation between cedar (or any
> other kind of shavings) and ferrets. They said they would quit using
> shavings if we could show them any kind of scientific study proving our
> point.
>         I have read many places that state that shavings should not be used,
> but I have not heard of any studies. Could someone please cite a study on
> the use of cedar shavings and ferret health?  In the alternative, any study
> between cedar shavings and small animals would be helpful. Also, if
> anyone is aware of any studies showing that there is no correlation, that
> would also be appreciated.

Unfortunately, I can't point you to any scientific studies but, in my
capacity as small mammals section leader on CompuServe for the past two
years, have been informed repeatedly by veterinarians, vet techs, wildlife
rehabbers and others of the dangers of cedar shavings for small mammals.
The problem is twofold: 1) cedar contains volatile aromatic oils that many
small mammals are allergic to, and 2) shavings are often dusty, which can
cause respiratory distress when inhaled.

Personally, I think cedar continues to be popular because *to us* it
smells nice, but I don't find that a good enough reason to use cedar as
bedding or litter.  Many ferrets are diggers, and digging in dusty
shavings is liable to lead to excessive sneezing and possible respiratory
problems.

I can understand a pet store wanting to change litter/bedding quickly and
easily, which is another reason why they persist in using shavings -- if
one *must* use shavings, at least use dustless pine or aspen.  (The issue
of whether or not pet stores should be selling ferrets I won't even
comment on, as I'm not feeling political today :-) But those aromatic
cedar oils are just problematic.  Perhaps Dr. Williams or Dr. Brown would
care to comment.

--
         Katie Fritz -- Internet: [log in to unmask]
CompuServe: 71257,3153--S2 Ferrets Section Co-Leader, Animal Forum--GO PETSTWO