From:
Shirley Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:28:49 -0700
Jen, you don't have to think of yourself as a bad mother because your
living arrangements have undergone a lot of changes.  As someone may have
suggested, how you feel about the upheavals can possibly have a larger
impact on your kids than the actual circumstances.

Some time ago, I wrote a few pieces on the FML about traveling in Central
America with my ferrets.  There were lots of obstacles to be overcome and
much planning was necessary.  We dealt with how and when to obtain food,
keeping ferrets cool, obtaining medical care if needed and many other
things.  However, that isn't the point of this letter.

My two kids traveled with me on my sailboat.  We also traveled back
to the States by airplane, took chicken buses and taxis, and stayed
in hotels while seeing the countries.  They were the objects of much
interest and curiosity, and seemed to be able to sleep and play just
about anywhere.  The one constant in their little lives was me.  I always
made certain that they had what they needed for comfort and took extra
time every day to play with them and let them explore.  Yet, they had
their comfortable cage, potty box and familiar bedding and toys.  The
things most important to them never really changed.  I tried to look at
the whole process as making the best situation every day, right now.
They arrived home to stay and still seemed happy although possibly a
little bored at times!

Please try to think of yourself and a good mother doing the best she
can.  Love and care every day goes a long way.

Best of luck to you,
Shirley