From:
Kevin Farlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:11:35 -0700
>If it is ulcers, just to inform you Mteronidazole can cause severe
>neurological complications. Usually we prescribe ranitidine (zantac)
>or prolosec instead. Carafate is always something I keep on hand
>though. Another thing you can mix is the antibiotic, carafate and
>wait 2 hours then give the zantac.

Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense. You're claiming that
metronidazole, a very commonly prescribed antibiotic, used in ferrets
and other animals (including humans - usually called Flagyl), causes
severe neurological complications? A quick search of Pubmed shows
ZERO articles corroborating this. What is your source?

Then you go on to suggest substituting an acid reducing drug for
an antibiotic? If there's a need to kill pathogens, then you need
something to do so. Metronidazole, amoxycillin, and Pepcid/Prilosec,
and/or Carafate are very commonly prescribed regimens for ulcers in
ferrets.

Kevin Farlee