Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 02:57:46 -0500
My 8 ferrets live in two separate cages.  Baby, Esme' and Zoe (all females)
must have their own cage, because Eloise and Sabine (my two original
ferrets) will not tolerate the existence of other females in their lives.
E and S live happily with Jake, Muggsie and Kermit, but when it is their
play time they spend at least part of it climbing the 3 girls' cage hoping
to find an exposed tail or toe to chomp on.

Zoe is a sweet, gentle and lovely little MF chocolate with enough spunk to
have tried to fight back.  She'd make a fierce mouth on the inside of the
cage bars and try to nip at her attackers.  After a couple times when Sabine
got a good hold on her nose and just HUNG there while she screeched, Zoe
has learned to hurry to a sleep sack and hide when the Wicked Weasel Women
arrive.

Recently Zoe was chased from the bottom level of her cage by the approach
of her tormentors, who were playing while I cleaned their cage.  A little
later, the Wicked Weasel Women were confined and Zoe was out while I cleaned
her cage.  Eloise and Sabine were pacing their bottom level, outraged at
Zoe's being free when they were in no mood to lie down and sleep.  An opaque
white plastic bag lay about a foot from their cage, and that gave Zoe an
idea ....

Zoe climbed in the bag and "walked" it over to the cage by standing up
inside it as if it were a plastic ball.  When she got to the bars, she
began to make fierce mouths through the plastic and stick her nose through
the bars at Eloise and Sabine.  They would try to nip her but she was
moving too fast, in and out and in and out with her nose, so all they got
was the moving plastic.  Bravo Zoe!  And another evidence of a superior
ferret brain.

 Please note my new e-mail address: [log in to unmask]

 1% of my monthly internet bill supports ferret shelters.
 Ask me how you can save on internet, long distance,
 and calling card bills while supporting needy shelters!