From:
Red Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:25:32 -0700
Instead of bickering over who to save, animal versus human, why don't we
learn from this?

I'm serious, what's done is done, the animals that were abondoned will
hopefully find their way to helping hands, if not, I don't really want
to think about it, it makes me want to cry, and the ferrets here don't
need that undo stress from their shelter mommy...

Anyway, my point is...

Look around your home.  Are you prepared?  If you, regardless of where
you live, had to evacuate immediately, can you get out with your ferrets
and your other animals?

We should use this tragedy to learn from, instead of repeating history.
Disaster can strike anywhere at anytime, the only thing we can do is be
prepared.

If we are prepared for the worst, then we might eliminate the forced
split second decisions between human and animal.

I'm saying this to eveyone, if you're disabled, with only one pet or a
hundred, doesn't matter, whatever your lifestyle may be, you should be
prepared.

What does prepared mean?  Have a plan of action, have something near
the cage of your ferrets or other animals that you can throw them into.
Comfort isn't a priority during a disaster, but life or death is.

Have enough medicine for you and your animals, for at least two weeks,
easy to find and get to, maybe have an evacuation bag with all the
necessities already in there, so all you have to do is grab and run.
Meds need to be refrigerated?  Have ice packs in the freezer ready to
throw in that bag.

Have a plan, where will you go, how will you get there, who can you call
for help.

A fire won't wait for you to make up your mind, you should have all of
this planned out beforehand.

Do a practice run, try to get everything you need in your car within an
hour.  See what happens.

Just my ever so opiniated two cents

October
www.renoferrets.org