From:
David Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 18:41:06 -0700
Well, thank you all for all the help the first week I had the little
girls... guess they are not so little... they are male-sized... anyways.
Thanks for all the advice and here's a couple things I have noticed.

Firstly, I was having a hell of a time litter training the girls, they
would go almost anywhere, corner or not, and I was following them around
endlessly with Resolve and taking  them out of the room while I cleaned
up the carpet.  However! Someone suggested putting towels etc in the
corners you dont want them to go in.  They see it as a nesting spot and
then do not go and make a mess in those corners (usually) and when I find
them about to go (when I do notice they're getting quite sneaky) I pick
them up and put them in the corner of the room with the litter box and
when they are done I give them a treat whether a raisin or drop of
Linatone as positive reinforcement.  Helen actually came into theother
room to get me after going in the box one day and laid her head on my
foot and looked up expecting her treat! =)

Secondly, some of you have been talking about ear cleanings.  Well.  I
found a good way to do that.  I hold them up against me and place a drop
of linatone in my palm and then hold their heads close to my chest so
they stay relatively still while they lick the linatone off.  Then I
place a drop of Four Paws Ear Mite Remedy (its got Aloe Vera and seems to
clean out ar wax etc as well so seemed like a good choice for cleaning)
and then rub the cotton swab gently against their ear (they usually end
up moving their heads some making this more of just placing the swab
against their ears) and then repeat for the other ear if they run out of
linatone.  They remain relatively calm and shake out their ears after and
seem just fine, in fact I dont think I have seen their ears so clean
since I got them.

Okay.  One Q: Helen has been making some chirping/chittering type noises
lately, mostly softly, and I have not been able to link the times that
she has in any way so I cant say whether it is out of fear or happiness
or something else.  This seems to have just started a few days ago and I
am at a loss to explain it (still waiting for the Tao ferret book in the
mail) =)

And while I'm on topic, they will tend to scratch and groom a lot while
they shed right? They seem to be in the process thereof, some new fur
growing in that seems to be itching etc... I use the Four Paws Deodorant
Spray on em which has aloe vera also which seems to help  and I either
stroke them affectionately an awful lot (cos they love it and are soooo
cute) or brush em which seems to help too =)

Anyways, thats my two cents for the week...
again, thanks everyone... =)

Dave Welch
Helen, "I'll eat anything you put under my nose", Ferret
Ceridwen, "Are you chasing me? are YOU chasing me?" *wrestle* *nip*, Ferret