From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 12:36:34 -0400
Hi all!

I just got Gizmo on Easter.  He is 7 weeks old, already de-scented and fixed,
and really cute!  I've never really had a pet before, and tried to familiarize
myself with ferrets (by reading books and the Ferret FAQ) before deciding to
get him, but I still have several concerns that ya'll might be able to help me
out with.

Some background info... I have a LARGE studio apartment in MA (though on the
New Hampshire border) where it is "illegal to own a ferret".  I'm 27, single,
have no kids, and I'm a computer professional (so I'm out of the house from
9:00am to 5:00pm).  Gizmo has taken well to his litter box, and has a very
large cage he enjoys playing in. When I'm home, I keep the cage open, and
supervise him as he explores.  I make sure that he has plenty of water and food
before I leave each morning, and offer plenty of play time and attention as
soon as I get home.

I know that he's young, and I want to make sure that I can help him grow up
healthily.....

1)  Is it wrong for me to leave him alone all day (even though he spends it
sleeping)?  Should I get another ferret for him to have a "buddy to hang with"?
I guess I feel a little guilty about leaving him "home alone" all day in his
cage.

2)  How much food should I be feeding him?  Should I just constantly keep some
food in his bowl?  Should I clean his bowl out nightly?  What about the water
bottle, I mean, he is a little guy, and he has a really large bottle.  How
often should I empty it and wash it out?  How about his cage - its not like he
makes much of a mess, but how often should I clean out/wash the tshirts I gave
him?

3)  He seems to have alot of dandruff, and scratches himself every once in a
while.  Dry skin?  What should I do/not do about it?

4)  I've read alot about nipping/biting.  When we play, he constantly nips me,
but seldom hard enough to hurt.  When it does hurt, I always say OUCH! and he
lets go.  Is nipping really that much of a problem to be concerned with?

Gee... he sure is cute and all.... I find it funny to watch him wable clumsily
from behind as he walks!  I gave him a warm bath yesterday in the kitchen sink
that he found fun - until I turned on the hand spray (I didn't know he could
move THAT fast)!

Any other tips, comments, or suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks alot!

Gizmo's human.