From:
Jason Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:54:38 -0600
(Continued for Buddy's Story: part 5 . . .)

"Raisins?  I can't say that I have heard of them," answered Cleo.  "What are
they?"
"Well, I can only tell you what I have heard about them," Jeffery replied.
"I have heard that they are the most incredibly delicious treats that a
ferret can find.  I have also heard that you must be careful not to eat too
many of them.  I was told that if you eat too many of them that, well, let
me just say that you might as well pull your blanket into the litter box
because your going to be in there for a while."
"Wow.  I have never heard of these "raisins" before.  What do they look
like?", asked Cleo.
"I have been told that they are small, black, and have wrinkles.  They
usually come in a package with a funny looking human on the front.
Have you ever seen anything like that?" asked Jeffery.
"Hmm, I haven't seen them before but if our human has any they would be
inside the small room that connects to the kitchen.  That is where she keeps
all the treats but we are not allowed to go into that room, so I don't know
how you can get to them."
"Is the small room usually locked?", asked Jeffery.
"No.  The door is usually open just a little bit."
"Ok, thanks.  I will have to think about this for a while," replied Jeffery.
Jeffery then went over and laid down on his blanket.  How was he going to
get to the raisins?  He knew they were there.  He could feel it.

After a short while Jeffery fell asleep.  While he slept, his dreams took
him back to the time he spent with Opus.  He remembered Opus describing
raisins to him.  He was enjoying his nice dream when suddenly he came full
awake.  How could he have not remembered?  Opus taught him how to open cage
doors!  He had forgotten all about that lesson!  Immediately he looked at
the door of his cage.  There on the outside of the door was the lock that
Opus said was the easiest to open.  There was a straight piece of metal bar
with the end bent so it pointed straight down.  The bent part then poked
through a circle thing that was connected to the door.  Jeffery went over to
the door.  He looked around and the room was empty.  He stood up against the
side of the cage and poked his paw through the side of the cage.  He then
grabbed onto the bar and carefully lifted.  Suddenly the door went flying
open and Jeffery found himself laying flat on his face outside the cage.  It
worked!  Next time, though, he would be careful not to put all of his weight
on the door so he wouldn't fall down when the door opened.

He decided that his first adventure outside of the cage had better be
planned carefully.  He went to the door of the cage, stood up and grabbed
the door, and then started walking backwards into the cage.  Once he had the
door shut tight, he put is left paw through the cage and, after a little
work, grabbed the bar.  He lifted the bar carefully and then pushed the bent
end back into the circle thing.  He had done it!  He had opened and closed
the door all by himself!  What a great new development.

(To Be Continued . . .)

Jason, Sammy, Doris, and Buddy
ICQ # 7528859 (Sammy's Dad)
ICQ - www.icq.com