From:
Hey Hey Hey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 07:41:18 -0500
Hey All,

Yesterday discovered a kit in the local pet store that had not been weaned.
I know the signs well as Rinkydink was not weaned when I got her and my
friend Linda has 3 that were not weaned either.  All MF and all from the
same pet store.

Anyhoo, do NOT want to get into the MF debate and DO know how to wean a
kit.  My question is does anyone know of specific documented damage that
occurs or can occur to a kit that hasnt eaten in better than 24 hours or
more.  Probably closer to 2 days than one and maybee as much as three?

I am wanting the information so that I can convince the pet store to be
reasonable.  When I discovered the kit, I told them about the problem.
They said thank you we will take the kit in the back.  After comming back
from another store, the kit is up front and still has not been fed.  I
again told them how to prepare food for the kit and how to feed it to get
him to eat.  I left them my phone number and offered to wean the little
one for them at their premises.

I had to go to work so I had to leave.  I worried all the way home because
of the initial response, placate her by taking ferret in back, when she is
gone bring him back out.  I called my friend LInda and her mom and asked
them to make up ground kibble and kitten replacement formula duck soup and
take it down there to feed the kit.

The pet store would not allow them to feed the kit.  They went back later
to talk to the owner and the pet store had moved the kit to another pet
store in the same chain, because it was aggressive.  They went to the pet
store the kit was at and were not allowed to feed the kit again and were
told that the owner would not be available until Monday.  The little guy
would not have made it until then so they bought him.  We are hoping to
wean him successfuly and then take him back for a return on the purchase
price.

Even if they return our money, which I am not counting on, we would like to
educate to the point where we can skip this purchase step.  If I can show
them somehow that they are damaging their "merchandise" and we will help
them for free, maybee they will listen.

HappyTails,
Karen