From:
Jaymi Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:54:42 EDT
There's something that I've been thinking from time to time about Samson,
and figured that I'm better off asking about it then dwelling on it.  I
adopted Samson (who came to us with a bad case of coccidia we learned
afterwards that almost took him from us, but that's another post...) back
in October of 1997 at a ferret show on Long Island, NY.  A shelter had a
"booth" there, and had, if I remember 4 or 5 ferrets up for adoption.  I
would go into the whole "the minute I saw him, I knew it was love" thing,
but I don't want to take up list space :)  They "guessed" he was about 2
years old at the time, and had just had him neutered.  Thing is, he had
been snipped a week before and still had his stiches in, recovering from
sugery.  Now I knew nothing (and still am quite uneducated unfortunatly)
about the shelter/adopting process, and didn't really think too much about
that.  But that's what I've been wondering about....do shelters "normally"
adopt out ferrets in these situations?  I would think not, because it's a
hard time for any little guy, and I would think that he would need some
time after the stiches came out to fully calm down (it took months to get
that smell and color out of him, not to mention his mounting habits *G*).
As I mentioned, he also came with cocciddia (sp?).

Can shelters usually tell if a ferret has something like this?  Or would
the surgery recovery make it hard to tell?  I haven't been to many ferret
shows, but I know most shelters like to see where the ferret is going...
conduct interviews and the like...so do shelters do a lot of adopting out
at shows?  Or was this some odd thing that doesn't usually go on?

And one last thing....occasionally Samson's penis pops out (wonderful
image, I know) for no reason (unless he finds me attractive *G*).  Is
this normal?  He was neutered almost 2 years ago...He seems totally
oblivious to it...running around as if it wasn't even there.

Thanks for reading my ramblings :)  Any input at all would be appreciated
(please email me if at all possible, because I don't want to clog up the
list).

Jaymi and the Monkeys (well, they do act like it)
Leroy, Petra, Samson, Calvin, Heidegger, and Joe
At the Rainbow Bridge-Bubba, Bear, Kirby, and Oppie