From:
Todd & Andi Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 15:22:46 -0400
Hi!

I just wanted to let everyone know what has been going on with the biting
pet store ferret in NJ. Todd completely lost his temper there on Thurs -
and the owner made it VERY apparent that the ferret wouldn't be there much
longer, all the while insisting it would make a fine pet.

I called on Friday and played stupid. "Do you have any ferrets?", "OOH! A
white one, I'd LOVE a white one!" They told me she was 3-4 months (they
told Todd 13-14 months) and NIPPED some. When I arrived (without Todd), the
owner took her out of the cage for me - only to be badly bitten by her.
After they pried the ferret off her hand, and got the ferret covered with
blood - I told them to put it in a box - I'd take it.

Now I recieved alot of mail - on both sides of this - to pay or not to pay.
I did pay full price - but I also had the owner tell me that if I wanted a
younger white ferret, I could pay her and she'd order one for me. They are
now only ordering ferrets that are payed for - they won't be keeping any in
the store. After all, they are wild animals & they don't sell well. (I
didn't argue the wild animal thing, I tried to explain that ferrets
shouldn't be in cedar chips, which this one was, but I was talking to an
ignorant brick wall.)

I can't thank Pam Grant enough for helping me with all the problems that
have been coming up!!!!

I'd love to tell you all that we now have a sweet docile critter, but we
don't. I can say that I still have all my fingers! They just look like I
put them in a meat grinder. My leg is pretty ugly, too. But - we can almost
pet her, and pick her up for *really* short periods of time. She's
absolutely loving out-time, and her new cage (the old one was a 10 gallon
aquarium full of chips, no litter pan, no food bowel, no toys - just a
water bottle). She spazzes all over, and never stops dooking (except when
she'd suddenly clucking, and I'm grabbing the bitter apple to get ready for
the inevitable).

We managed to clip her nails - now all we need to do is give her a bath,
clean her truely gross ears, and inspect a funny black scaley patch on her
back. We're going to the vet on Thursday night for shots. I've never
vaccinated for rabies before, but I'm thinking about doing this one. Can it
be given at the same time as distemper?

I'm glad we did it, I just wish we didn't have to do it. I'd probably do it
again. If anyone else has any words of wisdom from dealing with real
meanies, feel free to email me. We are constantly experiencing new
problems!

Andi