From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 23:44:15 -0500
>From:    Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cardiomyopathy early signs question?

I hope this ferret has seen a vet by now - I'm about a week behind on the
FML readings (Traveling to a ferret show does put one's weekend on hold, and
I'm STILL unpacking boxes in my new place...)

***   rabies shots
>From:    Roberto <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Imrab 3 shots SC or IM?

Sub-Q.

***   Distemper shots:
One other reminder I would like to suggest - not only should you wait 30
minutes after shots in the vets office, also ask your vet to vaccinate in
the ferret's rump instead of the scruff of the neck.  When STAR* did a
survey about vaccine reactions, it was noticeable that fewer or less severe
reactions occurred from rear end shots and thigh shots than neck and
shoulder shots.

***   finding clubs/ shelters
>And, I asked this before, but I didn't see any response (sorry if I missed
>it)...... does anyone know about anything (people, clubs, breeders, shelters)
>in SW Ohio???  I'd love to have ferret chatters.

Yes, there is a group in Cincinnati, OH

>From:    darski33 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Looking for a ferret club

Ferret Assoc. of RI - FARI - Holly Cyr.

See STAR* list for details on clubs, shelters, vets, etc.

>Subject: Diluting Ferretone
>From:    The Ferretously Funky One <[log in to unmask]>
>Wish I had written it down when I saw it posted a few weeks ago.. but could
>someone give me some tips on diluting Ferretone?
>- what do you dilute it with?
>- what ratio works best?
>- any tips on convenient storage containers?

Dilute with Olive Oil (50/50) or vegetable oil.  DO NOT USE MINERAL OIL!!!!
Also, you will need to keep is in a dark container (brown plastic bottle),
and pay attention to the recycle number and try to match that.  Not all
plastics are created equal.

***   Hobs in season
>>It is very stressful on a hob to be left whole and not bred season after
>>season.  Trust me on this one.  You don't want to breed the same animals
>>over and over with each other, either.

>New one on me.  My hobs of course would *love* to be getting some when they
>are in season, but seem fine when playing with me whether they are being
>bred that year or not.

Third opinion - Yes, it can be stressful on a hob not to be in use.  I have
seen and heard of hobs dying because they can not release some of the stress
of hormones in action.  I use small stuffed animals or toys in their cages
so they can work things out if/when they need to.  If a hob starts to become
very skinny and not come out of season when others do, sometimes their
rhythm is stuck, and the best thing you can do is neuter them.

***   Subject: Op Oberlin fallout
You know, one must place oneself in another's shoes before you really have a
right to flame another.  Now, I have no idea what was said, but I have met
Linda and her arty husband and met Bev and her other half too.  Knowing them
a little bit (we keep visiting each other's homes when we are in each
other's neighborhoods) I knew exactly what Linda meant with her reactions to
the "breeder" and her comments on Bev.

Why would anyone flame these two is beyond me, especially for the situation
she described.

So now, for those who have never met me or talked to me on the phone, don't
bother to flame me on this.  I'll just send you ferret information.....

Pam Grant