From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:00:10 EDT
>Here in Sweden we have some other options.  One of them is a Velcro strip
>"thingie".  About 2 inch wide and maybe 8 inch long.  You attaqch it with
>industry grade double sided tape with Velcro on one side and tape on the
>other.

Velcro strips are great!  I use them on the kitchen drawers.  That way the
ferrets can sleep in some of the drawers (getting in from behind) without
being able to get on the kitchen counter (no wonder I don't have any
storage space)!

>When I open a new bag of food I smell it and look through it carefully for
>bugs or webs (I've gotten both in food before).

This is a really good suggestion!  Now that I know what fresh food smells
like (and it varies greatly with each brand) I have started to do this.  A
very simple step to take which can really save a lot of trouble!  So far
the only one that smells remotely appetizing is California Natural, though
some other brands have almost no smell when fresh.  One time I was eating
trail mix out of a paper bag.  Then I decided to take a handful of ferret
food into one of the ferret rooms.  I absentmindedly thought I still had
trail mix in my hand and took a mouthful--ugh!  ptooie!

>are the wood stove pellets I hear so much about here basically the same
>size and shape as Feline Pine?  Do they have comparable odor-control
>properties?

Stove Chow wood pellets (the brand sold in some Home Depot stores) are
larger than feline pine.  In my opinion the odor control is comparable.
I think wood pellets absorb odor better than ANY clay-based kitty litter
I've ever used.  I use wood pellets for both cats and ferrets.  This is
the first year I'm making it through the summer without running out, yay!!

Ronnie in Mass.