Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 01:11:10 -0800
Please, why do we have to be subjected to the Off Topic rantings of
paranoid computer users?

This is a ferret list.  We have been asked to restrict our comments
to ferret related things yet neither of these posts had anything even
remotely ferret related in the body's of information.

Ms. Frye's post should have been rejected or edited to include only her
ferret story.  The post she was referring and commenting about, from the
previous night, should never have been allowed as it simply did not fall
within the guidelines of the FML.

Personal problems do not belong her unless ferret related.  Likes and
dislikes of individuals is not apropos here.

Let's stick to stories and information about our fuzzy companions and
leave personal politics behind.

Thank you.

For our ferrets.

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, Bancho, and Artemus.  In spirit, Bubba,
Billy-Bob, and Garret)

[Moderator's note: Many people had similar reactions.  Some people
presented good reasons explaining why the series of posts would have
been better left off the FML.  I understand the reasoning in some cases
really, and I'm still reading over comments, pro and con (mainly con).

I do want to clarify one thing however: The FML is indeed for issues
relating to ferrets but it has always been the policy to allow a limited
number of posts about somewhat off-topic events relating to subscribers.
Examples have included human births, deaths, weddings, divorces, illness,
relocation, job changes or even accidentally sending a computer virus.
In short, things which are significantly important emotionally have often
been allowed.  We're friends here and sometimes we slightly stray into
personal territory.  When I accept such a post it's done on the basis of
the content -- not on the basis of WHOSE post it is.  Things get very
tricky otherwise and I don't want to get into the business of rejecting
posts from certain people who may not be popular.  That's where moderation
stops and censoring begins, IMHO.

Now, all that being said, should there be any exceptions?  Well, yes!
Posts which outright lie, for example, if I know about it or am given
proof of the dishonesty of a post.  Sometimes that's a very easy decision
and other times, such as when there is no obvious attempt to defraud, it's
much more diffcult.  Deciding when enough is enough is a rather difficult
task.  I'm a geek, not a psychiatrist!

That's where a lot of you come in to help me.  That's good, but please
attempt to see my side of things too.  I promise to do the same for your
opinions.  BIG]