From:
Jason Kryska and Cheryl Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:43:23 -0700
Today, we were blessed with a new addition.  (Though my husband is a
little less then happy about the extra mouth to feed as we are going
through a difficult time financially currently)

I am known as the resident Ferret Lady in the area, which I find as kind
of funny, but I do enjoy the fact that people come to me with questions,
and tell me about ferrets they have seen or come across that are in need
of help.

In the last two days I have heard of a couple ferrets that were in less
then good situations.  One is an older and very fat little girl, at our
local Noah's Pets, in Metro Town, Burnaby, BC.  (If anyone in the
Vancouver area are interested and looking go see this girl!) She is not
old, or even older really, but she is older then the kits she has to share
with, and is in need of a loving forever home.  She apparently (I have not
seen her but a good and trusted ferret loving friend has) is very friendly
and very sweet and loving, but she needs to get out and play instead of
being stuck away in her cage.

That said, I would like to tell you about the second ferret I had heard
about, and our newest addition.

She is a beautiful healthy little albino girl, but she has a *Fierce!*
bitting problem.  I have seen two other ferret owners whom she has bitten
to the bone of their hand.  I was told about her by the same person who
told me about the chubby baby at Noah's Pets.  She told me how this little
albino girl accually lunged at hands, so I couldnt, and cant, help but
wonder what would give her cause to react so.  I think perhaps she may
have been hurt in the past, but that is hard to tell for sure of course.
Still, now I too bear my share of tooth marks, and this little girl does
bite hard!  Lizzy, (her current name, that may change yet) gets along
fabulously with our other kids, but with people she bites hard, drawing
blood almost every time, she has even bitten without a pause, and held on,
even when my hand was covered in bitter apple.  Needless to say I have my
task laid out before me!  She is a Hagen's Ferret, and truly beautiful,
and I think she will be very very sweet once she realizes that biting
hands that hard just isn't what good ferret kids do.  Still, this is the
reason we got her..  to help her with her biting problems, in a safe and
loving home.  My greatest fear having been that this girl would have been
picked up simply because she was *Pretty* and then as soon as she bites
she gets stuck in a cage and forgotten, or worse.  Having experience with
ferrets from biters, (Our Bosley Monster still likes to sneak up behind
you and tries (often succeeding) to jump up and bite your thigh or calf if
your not playing with him and he wants to play.  And if you have just
socks on, (he doesnt do it with bare feet) you can bet that Max is going
to be around to give your toes a nip :) to sick babies, (Goddess bless you
Melissa and Hope :)  our Magic having come to us looking just like hope,
and weighing only 220 gms, and also having two deaf ferrets, I hope Ill
be able to help Lizzy learn that love comes from hands as well as hearts.

Im checking Lizzy to see if she is deaf as well, and from what signs Ive
seen so far, she may be, though her lack of attention to the loud noises
simply could be due to her attention being everywhere!

Well, thats my new and wonderful news.  I look forward to posting some
pictures of our fluffy little Lizzy girl soon :)

Hugs and Dooks to all!

Momma Cheryl, Daddy Jason, and ..
Fuzzy babies - Otto-bo-botto, Maximus Ferretus, The Jacques, Bosley
Monster, Belly Belle, Magic Man, and Little Lizzy.
Hedge Hog girl - Princess Dotti
And the fat cats, Angus, Fergus, and Loki the much maligned.