From:
Marissa Bonasia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:42:04 EST
I've been watching this debate about adoption applications and I wanted
to comment based on my own recent experience in adopting a ferret.  In my
immediate area, there are no ferret shelters that I am aware of.  However,
there is a ferret club and its members foster the ferrets until someone
will adopt them.  When I inquired about adopting a ferret from them, I
expected an application or an interview.  However, I found it disquieting
that the adoption requirement is to become a member of the club and
attending several meetings in addition to filling out an application and
undergoing an interview.  Needless to say, I did not adopt from these
individuals.  I went out of my immediate area to another shelter and was
quite pleased with the process and my new ferret.  I question the motives
these people had in making this requirement.  They should be focusing on
finding these ferrets a home rather than trying to increase membership in
their club.  I can understand a general application or an interview to
insure that the ferret is going to be cared for, but I find this club to
be looking out for their own interests and not the ferrets.  If you really
need the money from forcing someone into your club, why not ask for a
donation instead.  I don't see a person's unwillingness to join the club
as a trait worthy of denying an adoption of a ferret to a good home.  For
members of the club that read this list that know who they are, please
reconsider your adoption procedures.  I know that if anyone I knew was
looking to adopt a ferret, I would definitely not refer them to your club
with your current policies.

--Marissa