From:
"Nancy K. Farlow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 15:13:01 -0500
To Anna:

A rottie-shepherd mix is more likely to play nicely with ferrets than many
other large breeds, simply because both breeds are guard dogs, not hunting
dogs.  The problem you're having is probably due to the simple fact that
they are puppies, and have not yet learned the restraint and common sense
that develops with age.

My dog, Tor, is a pitbull-shepherd mix: 80 lbs of sheer muscle.  When I got
my first ferret, Clover, about 9 months ago, I introduced them very
gradually, because I had no idea what my dog would do, and I didn't know
much about ferrets then either (they're much tougher than they look, and
mine love to play rough!).  To make a long story short, I'd be more worried
now about the ferrets eating the dog than the other way around!

I've since acquired a second ferret, Alfalfa, and he especially is ruthless
with my dog!  Both ferrets know just where to bite Tor where it really
hurts: nose, lips, ears, private parts.  Tor, on the other hand, has the
common sense to know that he is bigger and stronger than the little fuzzies,
and--although he will knock ME down trying to beat me to the door when he
wants to go out--I've come to realize that he knows how to play with my
ferrets without hurting them.  Oh, he'll chase them, jump on them (or appear
to), grab them in his mouth and hold them, but he never hurts them.  And
they love it!  THEY know that they're smaller, quicker, and (I hate to admit
it) probably smarter than Tor is.  They love to tease him by running under a
piece of furniture, and, while he has his nose buried under there looking
for them, they'll sneak around and jump him from behind!  This crew is a
riot to watch (if a bit hard on my furniture!).  They'll play for hours, and
usually Tor gets tired first.  Then they go after my cats...

Give your dogs time to mature and time to learn how to play nicely with your
fuzzies (under your supervision), and I'm sure you're in for many
entertaining hours!

Clover & Alfalfa (ferrets)
Tor (dog)
Elsa & Skywalker (cats)
Cory (parrot)
Nancy & Tim (humans)

Nancy Farlow ([log in to unmask])

Things may come to those who wait...

        But only the things left by those who hustle!