From:
"Alexander Loudon, VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:37:10 -0500
I need some help.  My ferret, Orion, won't eat his regular food.

He is a 2-2.5 yo MF ferret that I adopted from a local shelter last fall.
He was vaccinated for rabies and distemper this past Saturday.  Both
vaccinations were the brand/type listed in the FerretCentral FAQ, and he
had no obvious or immediate reactions.  (I delayed getting any vaccinations
until now because I wanted to try and get any vaccinations info from the
previous owner--no luck.)

However, since Saturday he won't eat his regular food.  I'm not saying he
won't eat anything... He loves his ferret treats (Peanut Butter flavored
from Sheppard & Greene), and is always interested whenever I come into the
room with a cookie, soda, etc.  (He never gets any of that from me, but my
fiance will occasionally give him a fingertip moistened with 7-up.) Today
she tried putting a little Ferretone on the food, but he just licked the
Ferretone off and left the food in the dish untouched.  He is separated from
the other ferret, my fiance's 1 yo MF female, so I know he's not eating.

Other info--
He's not pooping much (no surprise since he's not eating anything), and when
he does poop it's pretty watery.

He is drinking water, and doesn't appear to be getting dehydrated.  We're
force feeding him Sustical (0.5ml each time, 2-3 times per day), and the vet
suggested giving him some baby food.  (I don't know about that last one--any
comments?)

He is (was?) overweight, but as of Saturday he was down to 2.6 lbs.

He still has lots of energy, and will run and play with the female as much
(if not more) than he did just before the vaccinations.

Finally, just tonight my fiance noticed that the pads of his left rear paw
look a little yellow.  Not bright yellow, just not-pink and "tinted" a
yellow shade.

I wasn't concerned at first because I thought he might just be eating less,
but he is starting to lose weight, and I'm concerned now.  Any advice anyone
has to give would be sincerely appreciated.  Feel free to respond directly,
I'm supposed to go out of town early next week, but I'm reluctant to leave a
sick ferret.  Help!

Thanks in advance for your advice and support!

Alex, Lisa, Aurora, and Orion.

Aurora-No mom, I don't want to sleep!  Let me play!
Orion-Who me?  Eat?  No, I don't think so.