From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 18:38:14 -0400
A comment on wire chewing.  A friend of mine's ferret chewed a wire near
their bed one night.  The ferret looked dead, her husband gave mouth to nose
while my friend called the vet emergency service.  They really don't know if
the mouth to nose helped but the ferret did recover and is as "Spunky" as
ever.  (She is a nipper, especially noses).

I'd like to see if this works for anyone else.  I have had very limited
success with it but then I'm not trying all that hard.  My two are not
litter-box trained.  I gave up EARLY and just put newspaper down in all
their favorite spots.  I just recently thought "well hey, maybe putting the
recycyled paper pellets in a box would seem an awful lot like newspaper".
You know, sort of an association thing.  I have gotten more "hits" with this
than ever before - though its still pretty limited.  Maybe this will work
ior someone else?

Scootching backwards with something in paws.  Well I was watching Giesela
dig at a ground squirrel hole again today and she was in there really
digging (dirt flying out backwards with her head in the hole) then noticed
that she would back out, put her paws aroudn the built up dirt and scootch
backwards, to get the build up away from the mouth of the hole.  Since
carrying dirt in your mouth isn't all that efficient, maybe this is a dirt
moving/removal thing from the days of living in burrows.

On the MF thing (1) there are other ways of making a living and (1a) how
much money vs.  good care does a place need to make (2) I said there is
absolutely nothing wrong with the ferrets themselves, (3) I realize there
are bad backyard breeders thats not the point, nor is my point anything to
do with genetics since at this point who can say (4) the research thing is
not where I'm coming from at all, (5) when your spoiling and saying thank
you for your baby say a prayer for its mom and dad who are having a
miserable life.

Mary, Boris and Giesela
P.S.  Hey, we all love 'em and that's what counts most, spirited
disagreement is the stuff of life (at least in my ethnic background:)