From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 07:58:13 -0500
Hi!

While I have no idea why your little ferret is biting, I have had
experience in dealing with biting ferrets.  Part of our clan (we have
more than several) include ferrets who were severely abused and either
abandoned or dumped at animal shelters.  Thank God for our ferret rescue
shelters--remember to support them!  At least three that we have adopted
would be considered SEVERE biters who would draw blood.  One little guy
"Rico" would bite my forearm deep into the muscle.  OUCH!!

Unfortunately (because the bites hurt!), the only way that I have been
completely successful in eliminating this biting is to first encourage
the ferret to bite (you can't change a behavior unless that behavior is
first displayed).  I then immediately stick my index finger into the
biting ferret's mouth to the back of it's throat (not too deep, of course)
for a few seconds while saying "NO BITING!" over and over, causing a
gagging response which they find unpleasant.  Yes, they do try to "chew"
your finger (more an attempt to get your finger out of their mouth).  I
then immediately give them kisses (while protecting from further bites)
while repeating "Good Boy!" or "Good Girl!".

In time, the ferret learns that he or she will not be abused by this
behavior but that it's unacceptable to bite.  Because of this, I no
longer have biters and, in fact, have some of the most loving ferrets
anyone could wish for.  Just be patient, it takes a little time.

Good luck and keep trying...they are worth it!  Let everyone know how you
make out.

Bob