From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 14:06:15 -0400
Megan Leigh wrote on 8/1/01:
>Subject: Instant Shot Reaction
>
>I am wondering if I should not get her shots done because the 2nd time
>around is always worse and it could kill her.

An anaphylactic reaction can not happen on first exposure.  Perhaps that
is where the confusion rests.  The chances of a reaction still are only a
few percent or lower for any given approved vaccine at any time (unless a
previous marked reaction has occurred).  Wait at least 30 to 45 minutes
at the vet's afterward in case a reaction may occur so that immediate
treatment can save the individual.  Pretreat with Benedryl beforehand,
preferably with a bit of time between that and the shot.

When the Merial vaccine that recently completed its USDA approval is
finally marketed that will take the risk much lower.

Canine distemper is a horrible way to die.

Without rabies vaccinations your ferret can be destroyed immediately if
a bite occurs or is alleged (or in some states there can be a prolonged
specially designed observation time -- very costly and incredibly
stressful which is worse).