From:
Georgette Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:50:56 -0400
Hi there everyone - I wish this message was on better terms.  Let me first
say that I have made a vet appointment but Friday was the earliest I could
get.  We're really worried about Gushi.  For those who don't know, Gushi is
my eldest ferret and he is hypoglycemic and insulonimic (?).  I've been
supplementing his regular eating - yes he is still eating the ferret kibble
on his own - with duck soup, three or four times a day.  He *looks* good,
however, he is still having his bad days.  I think they're getting slowly
more frequent though - sigh!  Unfortunately, I can't afford to take time
off to spend more time with him and my boss absolutely refuses to let me
bring him into work with me.  I'm so torn right now.  I know our days are
numbered, I just want to make sure I make the right decision at the right
time.

When he's not sleeping or having an episode, he is still fairly perky -
begging for Cheerios or whatever tidbits that I happily hand over.  As long
as he eats, I figure that is a good sign.  His back legs are often weak and
wobbly and often he can't hold himself up properly when he does the
litterbox thing and often ends up with urine, etc on him.  He seems abit
upset by this, especially when I have to clean him up.  I don't blame him
but I think he'd get really upset if I got him ferret-sized Depends.  :->

In the last couple of days, he has started to grind his teeth as I am
feeding him his duck soup.  He also does it after we are finished.  The
sound is horrible!!!  I know his teeth need to be cleaned but with his
condition and the fact that he is almost seven years old, he can't be put
under anesthetic to have them properly cleaned.  I have tried some
alternative methods - enzymatic toothpaste and treats like tartar control
Pounce - but at this point, I don't think they're helping much.  I'm hoping
to get a friend to help me clean his teeth at home tomorrow.  I have a tool
to do it myself now and hope to see if this helps.  I don't know if the
teeth grinding is due to the fact that his teeth are in bad condition or if
he has ulcers or the like.  I haven't heard him grind his teeth at any
other time other than feeding time.

He usually sleeps through the night (he sleeps ALOT in general) but I often
get woke up at least three times a week by his seizures.  Most often he
will get out of the hammock and start by digging at the newspaper in the
bottom of the cage.  Scary, I know by the *sound and rhythm* of the digging
if it is Gushi calling for help or Frodo being bratty!

I need some advice - what should I be asking the vet on Friday?  Is there
anything that I can give Gushi that will help with his tooth discomfort?
Or if it is an ulcer, what do you recommend?  *Any* advice would be greatly
appreciated - I'm really stressed out lately.  He's my first baby and has
been such a joy over the years ... I want to do right by him.  I feel that
I will know what to do when the time comes, but in the meantime I want to
make him as comfortable as possible.  Thanks muchly in advance - give all
your kids an extra hug and kiss from us!

Take care - George, Jasper and the Crew

P.S.(Does anyone know - vets perhaps - if these insulinomic seizures are
like epileptic seizures??  We can't help but wonder during these episodes
if he's in pain, or just incoherent and doesn't remember a thing
afterwards??  I know it's hard to say since you can't ask him "What just
happened to you??" Wish I bloody-well could!!!!  But I just wish I knew
how much he's suffering during his seizures.  Thanks again.  oxo)

Georgette Peters                          Nothing is ferret-proof to a
Steacie Science Library                   sufficiently talented ferret.
York University
4700 Keele Street                                     *****
North York, Ontario                                 *********
M3J 1P3                                               *****
(416)736-5084
                                             Dook, dook, bjork, bjork!
e-mail - [log in to unmask]                        - Swedish Ferret