From:
CGarcia737 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 19:47:00 EDT
I would like to send my congratulations to the FML'r who has gotten the
information to that very unpleasant individual in St. George who was killing
ferrets.

That seems to almost be a Utah norm.  Although Salt Lake County is right now
officially "ferret-free", they are on the verge of changing that legislation.
If the new head of animal control for the county has his way.  We shall see,
this is, after all, Utah.

This, however, will not change attitudes.  Although I live in Davis County
where ferrets are legal, our animal control here euthanizes any ferret
brought to them.  (I found this out after calling to see if there were any
to adopt or if I could "foster" some until good homes were found.  I'm not
in a position, either financially or room-wise to be a shelter, but I could
feasibly foster....) I asked them why.  Their answer was "We euthanize all
ferrets brought here since they've usually been given up by long term owners
or have a bad biting or other serious problem that prevents them from being
adopted out.  Ferrets cannot be rehabilitated or retrained when they are
old."   (DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT?  GEE, HOW SILLY OF US TO THINK
DIFFERENTLY.....)

I am slowly trying to find out the correct person to speak to and get
information to so I can try to rectify that.  It's so weird and sad.  But
then, like I said, that's Utah.  Many people here are very, very resistant
to change, so it comes slowly.  But, when it does come, it does seem to
"take" after a bit.

So three cheers for the person in St. George.  (I'm sorry, I can't find my
FML issue or I'd congratulate you privately too.) Keep up the good work.

Utah might make it to the 21st Century yet!

Catherine, Pato, Snowball, Hubert and Elsie (the newest addition)
"Behind The Zion Curtain"