From:
Aaron McAlpine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 22:37:56 -0600
My wife, Tracy, and I want to extend our thanks to Erin for making us aware
of Bear's need for a new home.  We are new to FML and Erin's post came just
as we had decided that we wanted to adopt a new addition to our family.
Unfortunately, there are no ferret shelters anywhere near Nashville (that we
could find) and the regular animal shelter had no ferrets :->. We made the
journey from Nashville to Atlanta last night (through terrible weather) to
pick Bear up so she wouldn't have to spend the weekend alone.  Bear is our
fourth ferret, she will join Pinky (albino, female), Jasmine (cinnamon,
female) and Shadow (sable, female) as well as our two cats Bobi and Sammy.

As you may know, Bear is blind.  We never gave this a second thought as
Pinky is blind too.  Unless you really pay attention to her you would never
know that she can't see.  We knew that Bear would get around just fine.

Since brining Bear home today, we found that there may be an extended
adjustment period.  Our existing family is very receptive but Bear is quite
aggressive to everyone (except us).  She will dart and bite at the other
ferrets quite aggressively.  She about killed Sammy (14lb cat) before we
could blink.  She jumped on his back, went straight for the back of his neck
and shook violently.  This was our signal that we were taking things WAY to
fast.

That brings me to my first point.  MANY, MANY thanks to Kelleen Andrews for
posting the FAQ rewrite on Introductions.  Your timing couldn't have been
better for us.  We will follow the suggestions and hope for the best.  Thank
you, Thank you, Thank you.

Second... to Paw Paw and Tater

We want to let you know that Bear has been adopted by a caring and loving
family.  She is making a trip to her new vet tomorrow to get a full checkup
and to get current on her shots.  With a little adjustment period we are
sure she will be able to start sleeping in the "Ferret Condo" with the
others.  By the way the condo will be renovated and expanded so that no one
feels cramped.  I think Mee Maw may have been right as far as Bears reaction
to nine cats.  We are praying to work things out with two!  Keep looking,
I'm sure you will find a new fuzzy in no time.  We'll keep you in mind if we
hear anything.

If anyone has additional suggestions on introducing a new ferret to existing
ones we will take all the help we can get.  Sorry to take so much space.  We
hope to start contributing to the FML with wild ferret stories of our own.

Aaron & Tracy McAlpine

[Moderator's note: One suggestion sent in which wasn't accepted for the
rewrite, I guess, was to give all the ferrets a bath together.  They are
much too humilated by this to be agressive toward each other in the tub
(perhaps they are drawn together by sharing the misery!) and they all smell
similarly afterwards, which gives them some time to gradually accept the
other scents.  Not guaranteed to work, of course, but not harmful to the
ferrets either.  BIG]