From:
Sonya Grable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:10:51 GMT
Dear FMLers:

I've been quite behind lately, but feel it necessary to clarify what I
noticed tonight, and perceive as a misunderstanding on the poster's behalf,
regarding my support of Dr. Williams' posts.  It is not my intention to
start or get into an argument on or off this list.  I simply wish to
clarify any misunderstanding(s) regarding the following:

>Date:    Mon, 9 Oct 2000 08:07:43 PDT
>From:    Dee Eisenman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Civil and appreciated
>I am worried now about anybody diagnosing a ferret from afar. Sonya is a
>great person and I do feel bad for the loss of Renny, but I still must
>disagree with any vet diagnosing a ferret, sight unseen.

Renny was *NEVER* diagnosed by any veterinarians other than those that
saw/treated her locally.  I wasn't even a subscriber to the FML at the
time.  Had I have been, it is *very* possible I may have received a few
helpful ideas, comments, suggestions, or just more insight, or even a bit
of caution regarding exploratory surgery (which, btw, didn't reveal a
thing) in her condition/situation.  Her vets knew practically nothing; vets
deemed ferret knowledgeable and experienced (as previously mentioned).

I've learned an awful lot since my horrible and traumatic loss of Ren.
First and foremost, that not many (if any, except for the one that did)
vets would have opened her up since she had edema (not diagnosed by this
vet until after death; not by necropsy, either).

I know for a fact had I have been less trusting and more aggressive in
seeking help from 'afar' that she would not have died from complications
due to surgery.  I will not go into it further, nor will I ever reveal
who/where my information has come from.  However, one can rest assured
that all of my sources *are* in-the-know!

I still have questions and concerns, some of which can/will never be
answered.  I still blame myself, if simply because I *should* have known.
That's just who I am.  And, it is *no* excuse, but this hit just after I
had gone through six months of serious and complicated medical stuff of my
own.  You'd have to go through it, or know someone who has, to even begin
to understand.

Well, I guess I've strayed a bit, but my point is: Renny was *NEVER*
diagnosed nor 'treated' by any vet from afar, whether fifty or five
thousand miles away, in any direction.  It's very possible she may have
died no matter what, but at least maybe she wouldn't have been made to
suffer by needlessly going under the knife.

Apologies in advance if I misunderstood that particular part of Dee's post,
although I don't believe I did.

Respectfully,
Sonya