From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:40:31 -0700
HEllo FML --

Maybe you remember the attack of the ants we had on our ferrets a few
months ago? Though most of them came to us for help removing the ants
(and we ferreted out the rest and removed from them too), the ferrets
also did a pretty good job of killing the ants themselves -- we found
some dead ants on the ones who didn't show up on their own.

Luckily none of them had a major physical reaction to the bites.

Abt 40 years ago, my first husbaand and I woke up (here in Addis) to
an attack. That was a pretty frantic hour or so. We prevented them
from returning by putting eucalyptus leaves around the bed and at the
bottoms of the walls.

Oddly enough I got a minor attack last night -- my first since that one
in 1968ish. THere were just three ants and none actually bit. I caught,
crushed, and flushed them, pulled the bed away from the walls, and
went back to sleep w no more troubles. MAybe they just came in on the
bedding -- it gets aired outside each day, and these ants (called
goondahn) come around during the rainy season, which it is now.

FYI, both beds were/are just mattresses on the floor. In those days,
an Indian spread on a matress on the floor was fashionable, as I am
sure some of you remember.

When I got back to the US I had had enough of that and I had a bed
built that was high enough to be level w the window sill so I could
look out into a fig tree that grew there.

As for now, I am back on the floor -- still waiting to get my bed
throgh Customs!