From:
Deanna Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:42:35 -0400
Hi again,
As usual I am full of questions I hope one or two of you can answer.  Here
goes.... There are a few ferret events coming up in my area soon.  1st is
Ferret Awareness Day in NH on Sept.  26th and 2nd is a Halloween Frolic on
Oct.  26 in MA..  Should I be concerned about illnesses, such as ECE,
hepitises (sp?), and any others I am unaware of.?  Which viruses/illnesses
are contagious and what can I do to protect my fuzzbutts while attending
these outings?  A friend of mine here on the FML, Emily has a fuzzy ( you
all remember Bandit ) that has recently gotten over ECE.  She told me that
her kids were banned from such outings for 6 months due to ECE.  I never
knew this, how many other people don=92t and bring their thought to be
recovered and fine ferts out to play with other susceptible fuzzies?  Do I
have anything to worry about or am I being overly protective?  I would just
hate to be the cause of their getting ill because I was ignorant.

These will be my family's first outing for ferrets and we are all looking
forward to them, any info and help as always is greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested in having more information about Ferret Awareness in
N.H., please contact <Fran at [log in to unmask]>.  If you are interested in
the Halloween Frolic here in MA., please contact Lee at

An update on Pepper's biting, he seems to be doing better.  I still need to
be careful with him when we rough house but for the most part he his
learning self control.  What seems to work the best for us is gagging him a
bit (sounds yucky but he is living through it ;-) When he bites I lay him on
his back and stick my finger in his mouth until he gives up the fight.  He
really hates this even seems to "spit" a bit as though to say hey that's
gross mom.  Thanks so much for all the wonderful e-mails that you all sent
us regarding his biting.

One more thing and I'll let you go I promise.  My ferrets are 7 months old
and both seem to be pretty small.  Will they grow anymore,( they are eating
TF ) I thought someone mentioned that at this age they are pretty much full
grown.  Stinky weighs in at less than a pound, she is a bit boney but still
a lovely silvermitt.  Pepper weighs about a pound and a half and he is an
extremely gorgeous sable.  They are both from Triple F Farms and have a red
tattoo in their right ear.

Thanks so much,
Deanna