From:
Shirley Larsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 08:35:28 -0800
Hugs to all the fuzzies out there,

I second Gary's post concerning dried fruit in ferret treats.  A year or
so ago, I saw a package clearly labeled 'Ferret Treats' and 90% if its
content was dried fruit.  If I remember correctly, I did post about it
and ask others to write to the company.  I also wrote to the company and
gently suggested more research on their part.  Wish I could remember the
name of the manufacturer.  This certainly points out to me the folly of
believing what is on the front of the package.

When my kids were new to me (three out of five were rescues) I first made
certain that they liked Ferretone.  Of course, like 99% of ferrets, they
loved it.  I picked them up at every opportunity and gave them a little
lick of Ferretone from my finger.  Now I only occasionally give them a
treat, but they always come to be picked up (except, of course if they
are hiding under the file cabinet).  I guess this is the old 'intermitent
reinforcement' theory.  None of the ferrets shows the least wariness
about human hands.

Shirley and the  fuzzy kids