From:
"Bruce H. Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 20:35:43 -0700
To Anonymous:

>Last week I noticed there was a slight mucoid discharge, greenish yellow in
>color, matting the fur around her genital area...  Are ferrets susceptable
>to uro-genital infection?

    Yes, this is something that you should definitely mention to your vet.
Female ferrets are very susceptible to urinary tract infections, which
often start as bladder infections and rapidly progress within weeks to
renal infections, which may be life threatening.  Or, the discharge may be
from the vagina, suggesting the possibility of adrenal disease, with the
excess estrogen causing a change in the lining of the uterine stump, which
can secrete a whitish-clear mucus discharge.

xxx This problem should be investigated and not left to get worse.  If you
are still seeing the discharge today (4 days after your post), give your
vet a call and schedule and appointment.

Bruce H. Williams, DVM         Dept. of Veterinary Pathology
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath    Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]         Washington, D.C.  20306-6000