From:
anneinchicago <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:41:47 -0500
Okay, I admit it. I've become a bit crazy concerning what I am about to
say/advise. Fanatical, even.

If, for some reason, you have to leave your pets at home and flee from
a hurricane or whatever...

Stick a sign on a window or door. Spray paint a message on your garage.
Let potential rescuers *know* there are pets inside, especially pets
who don't normally make a sound. Ferrets, herps, rabbits, guinea pigs,
whatever. I don't care if you think you'll be back the very next day.

Why? And why am I so adamant about this? Because, in New Orleans, after
Katrina, rescuers (and I am *not* faulting them- so many, so little
time) were often alerted to the presence of an animal by its barking.
Or loud meowing. Do I need to say what happened to those animals that
*couldn't* say- Help? I'm in here?

Picture a home where someone obviously loved his herps. Now imagine
those beautifully kept cages after weeks with the heat, the flood
waters and no electricity. Need I say more?

anne