From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 18:15:59 -0500
Hi everybody!

Goodness, I haven't posted for a while.  I made up for it today, though.  I
sent about a million posts to the Ferret Newsgroup (alt.pets.ferrets) in
hopes of enlightening/helping a few people.  I wish more folks would
subscribe to the FML; I believe that we are fortunate to have a better
quality of information than is generally available in the newsgroup
(excepting Pam's FAQ which appears regularly in the newsgroup; thanks Pam!
: ) ).

Anyhoo, just wanted to post my thoughts on a few recent issues:

SORE THROAT/EARACHE
As another FML'r noted, these symptoms (pawing at the mouth, etc.) are more
symptomatic of nausea than anything else.  Nausea can be a symptom of an
ulcer, a blockage, or another serious health problem.  Please take your
ferret to a vet a.s.a.p.

BUYING A FERRET/LACK OF MONEY
Again another FML'r beat me to it again, but I would like to reinforce the
idea that, if you are worried about the difference in cost between a pet
store ferret and a shelter ferret, your funds are probably too tight to
afford a pet.  Medical problems do arise and can demand immediate attention
(translate as $$).  Moreover, the routine medical care, food, and litter
supplies can amount to a reasonable amount of money.

LIGHTWEIGHT FERRETS/FERRET FOOD
In order to better answer your question, we need more information.  How old
are your ferrets?  Are they male or female?  How much do they weigh?  Are
they altered or whole?  Were they neutered young (4-6 wks) or at an older
age?  All of these factors can influence a ferrets normal weight.  Males
usually weigh more than females.  Whole ferrets often weigh more than
altered ferrets.  Ferrets that were altered at a younger age usually weigh
less than ferrets altered at a more mature age.

Also, what kind of cat food are you feeding them?  A supermarket quality cat
food is probably not sufficient to meet their nutritional needs.  A high
quality cat food or ferret food is recommended (Totally Ferret, Marshall, 8
in 1, Iams Kitten (for 0-3 yrs.)/Cat (for 3yrs.  +).  You may suppliment
their diet with Ferretone (or Linatone), Ferretvitae, Ferret Bites, and/or
small dog bisquits.

ECE/PURCHASING NEW FERRETS
I'm sorry that you haven't received a response to your question.  Maybe I
can help.  First, I am very sorry to hear about the passing of your little
ones.  I'm glad that you feel ready to care for new babies already!  You are
smart to consider the possibility that your new babies would possibly be
exposed to ECE.  My solution/suggestion?  I would recommend that you contact
a local shelter that _has_ been exposed to ECE and consider purchasing your
new ferret(s) from them.  By doing so, you would be more likely to receive a
ferret that had been exposed to the virus.  Just a thought...  : )

MOTORCYCLES
Finally, I would like to echo the sentiment that it is probably unwise to
take your ferret(s) on a motorcycle.  I think that the possibility that they
would be injured is far too great.  In your jacket or in a bag, they are too
likely to jump or fall out or to distract you.  In a cage, they would be
pummeled by bumps in the road and turns.  Either in or out of a cage, an
accident would be fatal to them.  Moreover, I do not think that a ferret
would appreciate the ride; he would probably be happier sleeping in a warm,
cozy spot or exploring a new toy.

Just my thoughts for the day;  sorry I'm not more enlightening!

Take care all!

Gina
and
Paleface