From:
Jason Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 15:31:23 -0600
First,  Thank you Sukie for all that you do to help ferrets!!!  I, for one,
really appreciate it!

It appears that I many not have communicated effectively a few ideas so I
will try again.

The following was included in a post that appeared in the FML issue # 2329.
>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: intelligence; ECE; warning

>One note about the ECE isolation letter: don't be upset with people
>pointing out that not everything which is green is ECE.

If I was upset with people for pointing out that not everything green is ECE
then I would have to be upset with myself.  In my post "If you have had ECE
then you are EVIL!", which was in FML issue # 2326, I wrote the following:
>My point is that just because you only see one or two stools of green is
>NOT proof that you haven't been visited by ECE.  On the other hand it is
>also NOT proof that you have.  Since, to my knowledge, we are still lacking
>a test which will identify ECE, there is no way to prove that a short bout
>of ECE was or was not the cause.

There are definitely other reasons that a stool could be green that ECE.
One reason would be if the ferret got into a box of Lime Jello.  I have
heard of this happening.

>It's just plain fact.  Also, not realizing this might kill a ferret since
>some of the other possible causes are also potentially very, very dangerous
>and need to be ruled-out, or found and treated.

I COMPLETELY agree!  In fact, I stated this same concern in my previous post
in FML issue # 2326.  I wrote the following on this subject:

>I guess my whole point is that we should put our personal prejudice aside
>and treat "anything that is green" as ECE until you know different.  To
>explain why I feel we should treat it as ECE, let me state the very basics
>of treating a suspected case of ECE.  The basic steps are: 1. Make sure the
>ferret stays hydrated.  2. Make sure the ferret is eating.  3. Take the
>ferret to a vet as soon as possible for tests to make sure that it isn't
>something else.

As you can see, step three is taking your ferret to the vet to make sure
that it isn't something else.  It is very important when dealing with a
illness to know what it is so you know how to treat it.

(The next part of this post could be seen sarcastic if taken out of context
but it is NOT meant as a sarcastic comment)

I know that stress can cause the "greenies" for a while but stress doesn't
qualify as a "deadly" illness, so I am sure that you are not refering to
it as a deadly possibility.

Sukie (or anyone for that matter) could you please post to the FML a list of
these "other" possibilities that you refer to and also if taking the steps
that I mentioned above with these other illnesses could be dangerous, as you
seem to infer.  I am definitely NOT a vet nor do I claim to be an expert at
ferret health.  I would be very interested in knowing what these "other"
illnesses are so I can watch for them.

Thank you,

Jason, Sammy, Doris, and Buddy
ICQ # 7528859 (Sammy's Dad)