Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:17:17 EST
>This is what happens when people decide to get too involved, too
>passionate, & too judgmental, when they have no first-hand knowledge
>of the situation.

ITA.

>Once again, before someone starts throwing flak in my direction, let
>me say again - I have no personal knowledge of this person, or their
>operation, nor am I interested in it one single bit. I have no opinion
>about them, & I do not support *nor* condemn them. How can I, when I
>haven't even been there? I'm just pointing out a few things that
>people need to think about before commenting further...
>
>If this is indeed a bad situation that is against the rules set forth
>in the Ohio laws, then it needs to be rectified. If it turns out they
>are w/in the law, they need to stop being harrassed. That's the only
>opinion I have. But please, people, think first & type later.

Finally a reasonable opinion :) There was an inspector there and he
apparently found the farm to be within the law. I was there and didn't
see what the rescue people said they saw. I have no reason to lie about
what I saw (or really didn't see) while I was there. I'm not asking
anyone for money or trying to win supporters, it doesn't personally
matter to me if what is being said is true or not. I am happy with the
ferrets I got there - they were in good health when I got them (no
fleas, no ear mites, weren't starved - they were chubby with great
coats), they were never very nippy or bitey (even the baby). They now
have grown up to be beautiful, healthy adults. That is what matters to
me personally.

So I posted my experience with buying ferrets from DM. My opinion on
the "rescue" of these ferrets is that most shelters I have heard of,
visited or looked at online are almost always overfull with the typical
owner surrender petstore ferrets. I have found it a bit shortsighted to
purchase ferrets (and a lot of them) to bring into rescue when the
rescue doesn't have the funds to cover spaying/neutering or basic
health care for so many. I am also unsure if the rescue is also still
taking in owner surrenders or if they have closed their doors except
for the ferrets they are purchasing from DM.

The original story, back in I think Oct was DM was going to dump all of
his ferrets on this shelter. That rumor was debunked by another rescue
calling to confirm it with DM - who then posted DM was not looking to
surrender his ferrets and he was not about to kill any of them if they
weren't gone ASAP. Then the story changed to the rescue was going to
purchase all of the ferrets there, which I guess is still the idea?

My idea? How about purchasing kits from MF to prevent them from going
to petstores where they are stressed, housed improperly, fed poor
quality food and exposed to disease form other animals? Petstore
ferrets seem to make up a large number of ferrets that end up in
rescues to start with, so you'd just be cutting out the middle man
right? Preventing them from suffering in petstores, then going to
ignorant owners. Perhaps if you can buy enough there won't be any
left for the petstores to sell?

Nikki