From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 17:49:27 -0400
Brad,

We've seen a big influx of ferrets into the shelter this summer too.  I put a
lot of it to school being out and students getting rid of their ferrets that
they can't take home; to people moving now that school is out; and to people
wanting to get rid of their pets because it's "too much responsibility" in
the summer when they want to pack up and go.

Our shelter turns down more than a few adoptors.  Mostly because the family
has young children, or lives in a FFZ.  We require in our contract that the
people return the ferret to us regardless of how long they've had it,  if
they get rid of it for any reason.  Before 30 days, we refund the donation.
Our donation is $60 for a single and $100 for a pair, plus the cost of
shots.  All now have rabies shots before they go, in accordance with the new
state law.  Distemper shots too, given 2 weeks from the rabies shot.  Ferrets
older than about 3 1/2 are usually free.  Any sick and/or on medication go
free and we cover vet expenses.

Right now we have 19 ferrets in the shelter (six in incoming isolation), just
about at our max.  If we don't find homes for some soon, we'll have no choice
but to turn new ones away.

Dick B.