From:
Andy Coghill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:53:36 -0600
The body's immune system is equipped to defend against bacteria and viruses
which are of harm to the body.  Some people, however, have immune systems
which identify benign proteins (such as those in ferret dander) as harmful;
when the body comes into contact with these substances, an immune reaction
develops which manifests itself by sneezing, watery eyes, itchiness, etc
(all mechanisms by which the body is trying to expel the intruder... isn't
it neat how your immune system makes you itch so that you'll scratch away
the "dangerous" substance with which you have come into contact?).

>From:    "@home" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Allergies 102
>
>Ferrets don't have dander like cats, dogs, and birds   True
>
>People can be allergic to ferrets                      False

Dander is comprosed of particles of dead skin (or "scales") which an animal
is continually sluffing off... to say that ferrets do not have dander would
be to say that (1) they do not lose "scales" of skin at all or (2) that
they sluff their skin all at once, like a snake.  Either proposition is
ludicrous and I would love to hear anyone try to defend it... ALL mammals
(and many non-mammals) have dander -- it's just a part of having skin --
and that dander (and/or saliva and/or oily excretions) can cause allergies.
Just because you can't see the dander does not mean that it isn't there,
either.  Animal dander is very tiny (about 2.5 microns or 1/10,000 inch
across).

That being said, dander is most likely not the allergen which plagues
ferret owners who have "imaginative" immune systems.  It is held that the
primary allergen for dogs and cats is their saliva (or the proteins
therein) and that the primary allergen for rodents (guinea
pigs/gerbils/etc.) is their urine (or proteins therein).

Ferret Central indicates that there is at least one report of an individual
who is allergic only to intact male ferrets... seems a little strange, but
is it really?  The primary allergen (substance which cause a reaction)
associated with cats is a glycoprotein which is found -- in addition to
hair roots and saliva -- in the urine of only MALE cats.  Intact male
ferrets often "bathe" themselves in urine to make them smell more
"attractive" to a female.  It is entirely logical in this case that the
person was allergic to a glycoprotein similar to that found in cats and
which was only encountered when handling intact male ferrets.

There is some merit to the possibility that there may be aggravating
factors; a ferret's fur may attract dust, pollen, or mold just as any other
pet's fur would.  A ferret owner may not realize that they are allergic
to the particular shampoo they are using.  HOWEVER, as someone who is
personally allergic to the fuzzbutts he loves -- as well as just about
anything that breathes and many things that don't -- I can tell you beyond
any doubt that allergies to ferrets cannot be minimized to "they just stir
up dust" or "it's the shampoo you're using." I'm not sure how that would
explain why I don't have reactions to my ferrets (although it took about 6
months to get over my initial reaction to each and every one of them) yet
sneeze ferociously when I visit friends and their ferrets; I can guarantee
that it's not because my house is so much cleaner <g>.

Ferrets do not have dander like cats, dogs, and birds
Resounding FALSE

People can be allergic to ferrets
Resounding TRUE

>If you really love your ferret, you will find          ????
>something else to be allergic to

Really now.  I can commend you for your effort to keep this woman united
with her ferrets.  She obviously loves them very much from her story and
after this short amount of time is experiencing major health difficulties
(Oh, I forgot.  Allergies can take many months to develop after initial
exposure to the allergen; you don't suppose it took Freddy and Junior this
long to figure out where all the dust bunnies are, do you?).  Obviously I
would not want anyone to give up their pet unnecessarily... but to
insinuate that they have CHOICE in whether or not to be allergic to their
ferrets -- especially someone who is battling with this issue both
emotionally and physically -- is akin to tabasco sauce on an open wound,
unfair, and not at all necessary.

Please, Samanta, try changing the shampoo and evaluate any other allergens
which may have been introduced to your household at about the time you got
Freddy (they may be related to the ferrets, they may not).  Explore your
options.  Perhaps your dermatologist can help you identify exactly what
substance is causing your allergies; but remember that it can also be
months before the allergen will no longer be present in your home... don't
give up yet...

-- Andy and the four Dander Factories
Cody ("I just want to snuggle.")
Tripod Bob ("Look out everyone!  I'm gonna kick -- well, knee -- your
             butt!")
Ifdaschuwitz "Witzy" ("I'm no scared of you no more, Bob. . .")
Oscar ("Can't we all just get along?")
 . . . missing our little Lily-doodle. . .
 . . . with Fossa and Socrates waiting at the Bridge. . .