From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:07:22 -0500
>I found this article regarding dogs and cats.  I thought it might be
>relevant to slaves who are feeding their furry owners babyfood, homemade
>or otherwise, or chicken broth.
>http://my.erinet.com/~ghost/onion.htm

Well, the layers of info out there simply don't seem to cover if this is a
problem for ferrets.  Many have had ferrets with no negative response at
all to inclusion of culinary alliums such as onion or garlic (including
our guys through the years), but to be safest I would not give food with
them to a ferret that has a history of anemia, or to ones that have
conditions that can throw off hormonal balance and result in dangerous
anemia in some ferrets such as ones in heat (large portion at risk of
anemia), or with adrenal growths/symptoms (small fraction at risk of
anemia but it can happen).  What appeals is not always what's best; no
two ways to tear that.  If I were ten years younger I might sing about
this precaution, "Staying a chive-chive-chive-chive, staying a chive..."

Newbie info: be sure to read
http://www.ferretcental.org
and
_Ferrets for Dummies_ by Kim Schilling which all of us (Steve and I have
had ferrets in the family for 20 years.) find useful.

Sukie
for health info: