From:
Laura Horovitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 22:55:56 EDT
HERE I HAVE COMPILED THE ANSWERS I GOT FOR MY PRECIOUS BABY GIRL, BARRET'S
PROBLEM, RAT TAIL WITH THE BLACKHEADS.  (SHE'S 4 YEARS OLD).  TONITE WAS
THE

FIRST NIGHT I WASHED HER.  WE WILL SEE!!!  I MUST THANK ALL OF YOU FOR
ANSWERING ME AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'D DO WITHOUT THIS FERRET POST!!!!
THANKS

TO EVERYONE!!!!!
HERE THEY ARE:
Hi Laura,
Your vet is correct.  If you see blackheads, that is what is causing the
hairloss.  If she is having other symptoms, it may be adrenal, but if
that's all it is, I doubt you have anythig to worry about.

What I do to cure this....
Once per week, I wash the ferrets tail (only the tail) with a gentle soap.
I gently scrub it with an old toothbrush to work the blackheads lose (you
can run your nail over them lightly to get them, too).  Then I rub a facial
pad (Noxema, Oxy, etc.) up and down the tail for about 15 seconds.  YOu
should see the oil buildup and blackheads come off on that (ick).

Only do this once per week up to 3 weeks, you should see hair regrowth
soon.  Good luck!
Mary
====
Mary McCarty-Houser, Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association of Centre County
http://www.ferretrescue.com

Try Clean & Clear oil free facial wash.  Daily for one week, every
other day for a week.  Dry the tail thoroughly after washing.  It
worked on my ferret's rat tail (which he has had 3-4 times since I've
had him).
Good luck!                 -L
___________________________  ___________________

Hello
I had this problem really bad with my late ferret.  The thing I found
worked really well on him was Nutragena body wash, the stuff for acne.
Also if you give him ferretone, give him more.  This seemed to really
work with my ferret.

Good luck.
Shannon.
Hi Laura,
Not to worry, I had a ferret who developed blackheads on his tail and
pretty much all the hair on his tail fell out.  It looked pretty gross
and bothered him - he was always biting at his itchy tail!  Our vet
prescribed the Benzoil shampoo, and after just a few washings the
blackheads disappeared like magic and actually they never came back!  The
shampoo didn't burn him or bother him...well, not that he enjoyed having
his tail washed every couple of days, but it was fine.

I do suggest though that you get the Benzoil shampoo directly from the
vet rather than the pet store because I think ferrets do need a slightly
lower-strength Benzoil shampoo than a dog would.

Hope this helps-
Heather W.
Massachusetts

You can also try Neutrogena Healthy Scalp shampoo, or a teenage acne pad
for sensitive skin.

I used stridex pads that I diluted on my P.B. when his tail got nasty
blackheads.  When your fur kid's tail is nicely clean, just use mild soap
once a week.

Matthew in CO

Hi Laura,
One of my ferrets had the same problem with black heads.  I was told to use
Clean & Clear facial cleanser.  Wash the tale everyday and dry well.  when
you see the black heads going away, wash every other day or so and the hair
should start growing back.

Good Luck,
Amy

Hi Laura, I'm way behind on reading my mail so somebody probably already
suggested this but if not, try stridex or any of the acne pads, rub gently
on the tail and you'll be horrified how much built up oil comes off.  Then
I always shampoo the tail with a mild shampoo to get the acne med off.  If
it's only rat tail this should open the follicles up in no time.  Good
luck.  Laurel

   *Laura *