From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 18:34:54 -0400
This is in response to the post re "Change to CA Rabies Compendium-- Allows
for Personal Bias." When we took our ferret to our vet for his rabies shot,
I asked the vet what would happen if our ferret bit someone (I live in NY):
automatic killing, or quarantine?  He said it's a delicate situation.  We
SHOULD be ok in NY (and reminded me that ferrets are illegal in NYC), but
also said that it would be up to the local health officer.  If that officer
decides to have the ferret killed, there's absolutely nothing we can do
about it!  Not very comforting.  I agree that the CA compendium was worded
very deliberately with language that could be interpreted by the individual
in charge as they wished.  I guess all we can do is keep lobbying for
stricter language and keep our ferrets faces away from strangers!!