From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 17:38:41 -0600
Sukie, I believe I was wrong when I said the overpowering urge to explain
was Y-linked.  I believe, like male-pattern baldness, it is SEX-linked,
carried on the X-chromosome, and recessive, so females need the trait on two
chromosomes when men only need it on one.  As for the XY female thing, I
have long suspected Roseanne of similar problems (Biojoke: Roseanne
Barr...Barr Bodies...absent in XY females?  Ok, I won't do it again).

Regarding chewing cords, or any other non-food object, the act/condition is
called "pica" (according to Bailliere's Vet dictionary "a craving for
unnatural articles of food; a depraved appetite.  Expressed in animals by
licking or eating foriegn materials.  Often caused by a nutritional
deficiency of bulk, fibre or a specific nutrient, e.g.  phosphorus, salt, or
copper.  Also called alloriophagia.) I've posted before (and been flamed)
about my concerns regarding a lack of bulk, fibre, etc., in pelleted foods.
All I can say is you all know how I feed my beasties, and the ONLY time I've
had problems with pica is when I've brought in new ferrets.  Foster just
about ate two hard rubber toys, and every exposed power cord before we
realized what was going on.  He has since responded to our feeding
practices, and only occasionally chews a toy, although now mostly the cloth
ones.  (He is responding favorably to a low-key behavioral-modification
program.  I got him at 8-9 years old, and many behaviors are pretty-much set
in by then, so I am gentle and slow.)

I have been very successful with two methods.  Covering the cord with
aluminium foil, which seems to give them the hebbie-gebees when they chew on
it, and/or by the application of "Bob's Liquid Nastiness", (1 part "Dog
Off", 2 parts "Bitter Apple", 1 part cayanne pepper, 3 parts "Catch Your
Pants on Fire HOT SAUCE", and a few drops of "Ammonia." Mix all parts except
the ammonia, allow it to evaporate to a thick paste (outside), add the drops
of ammonia, then apply with a brush, or smear some on a disposable rag and
wipe it on.  Keep away from small children, persons with olfactory senses,
and nuclear power plants.  GAARR-ANNT-TEEEED!  or your power cords back (but
you have to recombine them...).  This they do not like.  The ammonia acts as
a scent marker, and the combination of tastes, well, just try a dab.  Worked
on me.  I no longer chew the power cords.....

I have a question for you ferret owners with children.  Have you noticed
that ferrets act just like toddlers?  Oh, yes, I'm serious.  They poop, eat,
sleep, and in-between, get in lots of trouble.  Actually, I mean they need
lots of love AND discipline.  As a daddy to two adopted and two biological
teenagers, I can say that the discipline used is dependant on the child
"abused." (JOKE!  All kids think their parents abuse them....mine do when I
tell their friends jokes when they come over...) I guess what I'm getting at
is that ferrets are not all punched from the same metal, so each responds
differently to discipline than others, so you have to try different things
until you hit the right combination that works.  With Stella, I just have to
say "no" loudly.  But with Gus, I have to scruff him fairly hard.  Tori
stopped biting when I pinched her gums, and Nosette stopped pooping on the
floor when I picked her up, scruffed her, told her what was wrong, then
placed her in the right place.  Balistic would only react in fear from any
outward aggression, but she responded well to "in-view isolation"--that is,
short-time placement in a small cage so they can watch the others having fun
but can't have it themselves

I've retrained several really bad biters, and have used the follow method.
I've induced a bite, then squeezed the front of the upper jaw (between the
lower portion of the nose and the inside portion of the teeth and gums)
between my thumb and "bite" finger.  There is a pressure point just under
the nose, and it is very uncomfortable (try it on yourself).  This isn't a
nose flick, and it happens at the same time as the bite, so there is an
immediate and powerful association to the hard biting.  It usually just
takes a day, with a few extra lessons in the next week or so, to establish
an association of discomfort with hard biting.  However, biting is a normal
ferret behavior, and no behavior modification will work long if it goes
against the instincts of the animal (without making the animal nuts), so I
reward light biting with a treat during this period.  They don't get
confused-- they are very smart, and quickly learn the difference between
light and hard biting.  Not one of my ferrets bite hard, and I've never had
to whack any of them.  Same with my children.  None bite hard....

While ferrets respond differently to discipline, they respond the same to
love.  Both Razz and Balistic were VERY nervous when they arrived, but now,
with unconditioned love from six people, they are fat, healthy, sassy, and,
well, normal ferrets.  Ferrets, like people, respond to positive touching,
hugging, head scratching, and soothing speech and song.  Love is a physical
requirement for children and ferrets to remain healthy, without it they fail
to thrive, sicken, and even die.  (I firmly believe in skin-to-skin contact
with ill children and pets--yes I understand completely about the dangers of
transmitting disease--and have found it to be as effective as most western
medicines.  Physical and emotional support is just as important as medicines
and rest.)

THIS IS NOT A FLAME.  JUST AN OPINION.  Both ferret and children owners have
the right to decide what is correct for their own "kids." I just wanted to
relate what works for me, that is all.

Bob and the 13 Rug Wrestlers